Last Edited 03/01/17
Please contact the Webmaster with any queries, suggestions or broken links.
Best Viewed at 1024x768
History of the Hall
Following the 1939-1945 war, proposals were made to extend the hall in memory of those who fell in the Second World War. The extensions were to provide modern sanitation, improve the kitchen facilities and to extend the eastern end of the hall to provide committee rooms and improve stage facilities. During 1947-1961, the local community raised funds and a grant was obtained to finance the project. Mr. & Mrs. Pilley donated the additional land required. Mrs.C.E.J.Gover, wife of the Rector of Bratton Fleming and daughter of the late Rev. W.F.MacMichael, who was vicar of Lee and one of the original Trustees, opened the extension in 1962.
In 1994, the late Mrs.I.Pilley bequeathed School Meadow (also known as Pixie Meadow) to the Trustees. This field adjoins the hall and had been used for many years to hold events. Improvements were made to the field over the next couple of years, including drainage, fencing and planting a fuchsia hedge alongside the road. This work, and especially the fuchsia hedge, won for the hall in 1996 an award from the North Devon Conversation Society of The Endymion Shield.
Over the years, the Trustees have made improvements to the hall and its facilities. Electric lighting was installed in 1937, with the hall being one of the first places in the village to obtain this. Over the years, improvements have been made to the kitchen, toilets and the stage, and an access ramp for wheel chairs was constructed. Heating of the main hall started as a solid fuel open fire, which was replaced in 1967 by an oil stove. Electric heaters were added in later years to supplement the heating. These were superseded in 1999 by a modern oil-fired central heating system for the whole building. Improvements to the hall were recognised by the award in 1994 of the National Westminster Bank Trophy for the best run village hall in North Devon, having been runner-up in 1992.
Since its construction, the village hall has been the main centre of village activity. For many years, a popular social club was run successfully seven days a week. The activities available included snooker, billiards and darts. In addition, dances and whist drives were held and it was usual for an amateur play to be put on each winter. After the Second World War, it was through these activities that funds were raised for the proposed extensions. Other organisations in the village, such as the Women’s Institute which was started in Lee in April 1926, used the hall for their regular meetings.
Although the advent of television changed village life and saw the demise of the social club, the Memorial Hall remains the focal point of village life and, for a village which now has only about 200 permanent residents, is well used. However, in order to ensure that the Hall would be able to continue to serve the village through the 21st century, it became clear that its facilities would need updating to bring them up to modern requirements and expectations. Therefore plans were drawn up to provide a new kitchen, toilets, much enhanced facilities for disabled people, and more flexible use of the stage and committee room. A completely new system for sewage disposal was also urgently needed. Great care was taken to ensure that the new buildings would not only blend in with the fine original hall but would also enhance the visual appearance of the whole complex. After a major fund raising campaign involving applications for grants, appeals for donations and many fund raising events, building work started in November 2009. Despite dreadful weather for much of the winter, the building work was largely completed by the end of February 2010. Subsequently, a team of volunteers redecorated the original hall and thoroughly cleaned the whole building. Then, on 27 March 2010, the building was reopened in a day of celebrating village life. Sixteen village organisations took part and refreshments were served from the new kitchen. Over 200 people attended during the day which marked the beginning of a new stage in the long and distinguished history of Lee Memorial Hall. The development project has cost around £120,000. About £105,000 had been raised from grants, donations, events and use of hall reserves by the time the work was completed. The rest will be raised from events and other fund raising over the next couple of years or so.
Other features of the Hall
Several paintings of early Trustees and benefactors hang in the hall. These include:- Miss. A. Drake-Cutliffe, watercolour by Grahame Penn of Lincombe (1992); Lt. B.H.H.Drake-Cutliffe, oil by Lilian Cheviot; Mrs. E. Tugwell, photograph; Mrs. I. Pilley, oil by Sybil Trist, Lady Richardson of Lee; Mrs. J. Spurgin, oil by Sybil Trist, Lady Richardson of Lee who was a Trustee for 40 years.
By the entrance door to the hall near the Clock Tower is a semi-circular shaped recess in the wall 48 inches high and 13 inches wide. Originally it held a large 11 inch naval brass shell case from the First World War. A brass plaque on it originally states that it was presented to the people of Lee by the National War Savings Committee to commemorate their notable subscriptions to War Securities during Gun Week 1918. The shell was voluntarily surrendered in the early days of the Second World War to be used as munitions.
In 1995, an illustrated map of the village was drawn and painted by a local artist, Grahame Penn. This 48-inch by 38-inch map is framed and hangs on the north wall of the hall. The Women’s Institute organised the map and members of the WI did the cross-stitch work.
The Bishop’s Stone sited on the NW corner outside the hall. See the explanation under the Church.
The Lee Textile Wall Hanging
To recognise the Millennium, the Lee Quilters Group designed and made this commemorative wall hanging to be displayed in the hall. The hanging has been designed by Hilary Widlake, a member of the group. As the village has adopted the fuchsia as its symbol, this became the inspiration for the main design of the hanging. Many needlecraft techniques are included in the making of this wall hanging and these are described below.
The centre square depicts the Lee War Memorial Cross. This is worked as an applique, with Italian quilting and trapunto details (worked by Heather Casbon). To either side of the cross are panels showing the church windows. These are worked in free machining and machine applique (worked by Hilary Widlake). Above and below the cross and windows are stencilled lettering panels with hand quilted details (worked by Jenny Tapping). There are 14 patchwork blocks, each depicting a stylised fuchsia, each block is made up of 34 separate pieces and is made by a member of the patchwork group. The hanging is finished with a pieced border (worked by Margaret Hill). Piped seams are included to separate the main panel and the border.